Tuesday, September 8, 2009

President Obama Speeks to Our Children


Today, noon EST, the president will make a speech to our nations students, K- 12. Much as been said about this speech, how it may be propaganda, or brain washing, but I just read the speech, and with only one exception I thought it was very good. But what else could expect from the "Teleprompter and Cheif".


By using his own story and the story of others that have not let their circumstance make them a victim, he stated clearly that kids need to press forward and not let anything get in the way of their education. He said that it's not just themselves they would be cheating if they knuckled under to pier pressure and did things that caused them to not give their best effort, if they just stopped trying because they failed at first. Obama said that if they give up on their education that it would hurt the country as well. I have to fully agree with the President on this one. Learning from failure, as he points out, is the way many great figures in our history learned their trade.



The only point I took exception was near the end, where the President takes credit for giving the kids their classrooms and text books and computers and such; "I’m working hard to fix up your classrooms and get you the books, equipment and computers you need to learn." Excuse me Mr. President, but my taxes and my donations and time and effort provide much of those things you mentioned. I thought this was a little of what everyone was worried about, I mean can't you see kids out there telling their parents, "President Obama gives us our books and computers at school mommy, he's awesome!" That just makes me feel a little queasy.


But I have to give the people of this country that spoke up about it credit in changing the tone of the speech. He had the Education Dept. send out outlines and study guides to help teachers with discussions after the speech. They had questions like " Write a letter to yourself stating how you can help the President" and such. This was changed and those items deleted from the study guide because of the stink many Americans made. I think now we will here from the media and critics of the folks that took their kids out of school and such that "they were wrong about the speech so they must be wrong about everything else." Well, we don't know what the speech was going to be like before the stink was made so that dog won't hunt.


I say, well done Mr. President, telling our kids to stay in school, don't let your circumstances stop you from getting your education and do it for your country. Just back down a little on the ego, all right!

No comments: